Philip Danton Murphy (born August 16, 1957) is a prominent US financier, diplomat, and Democratic Party politician who served as the 56th Governor of New Jersey since January 2018. He was a former US Ambassador in Germany from 2009 to 2013. During this period, he faced the fallout from leaked diplomatic cables from the United States. In the mid-2000s, he served as CFO of the Democratic National Committee under Howard Dean. Prior to that, Murphy had a 23-year career at Goldman Sachs, where he held various senior positions and amassed a significant fortune until his retirement in 2006. He is involved in numerous public and charitable organizations.
|Real Name||Philip Dunton Murphy|
|Nick Name||Phil Murphy|
|Born||August 16, 1957|
|Age||62 years old (As of 2020)|
|Known For||56th governor of New Jersey|
|Birthplace||Needham, Massachusetts, U.S.|
|Height/ Tall||In feet – 5’9″|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Parents||Father: Walter F. Murphy
Mother: Dorothy Louise
|Spouse/ Wife||Tammy Snyder (m. 1993)|
|Education||1. Harvard University (AB)
2. University of Pennsylvania (MBA)
|Net Worth||Approx $70 million USD (As of 2020)|
|Social Media Links||, ,|
Phil Murphy Age, Height and Weight
- In 2021, Phil Murphy is 63 years old.
- He is 5 feet 9 inches tall.
- It weighs about 70kg.
- His eye color is dark brown and his hair is blonde.
- Wear UK size 9.
Fast facts on Phil Murphy
Phil Murphy with his wife Tammy Snyder
Phil Murphy is getting married
- Phil Murphy has been married to Tammy Snyder since 2020.
- In 1987, Murphy met his future wife, Tammy Snyder, while they were both working at Goldman Sachs, but Murphy hasn’t asked about her in seven years.
- When he finally did, things went fast and they were engaged 18 days later and married within six months in 1994.
- Murphy and his wife had four children, three boys and one girl.
- They live in Monmouth County, New Jersey.
- The boys were educated at Rumson Country Day School and Phillips Academy.
- Tammy Snyder Murphy has held various financial, public and political positions and was also a homemaker.
Phil Murphy net worth
- As of 2020, Phil Murphy’s net worth is estimated to be around $70 million.
- Murphy’s position in Goldman Sachs at the time of the company’s IPO increased his net worth to more than $50 million.
- He and his family live on an oceanfront farm with an annual property tax of $200,000.
- Murphy also owns houses in Berlin and Italy.
Phil Murphy Youth and Education
- Murphy was born on August 16, 1957 in Needham, Massachusetts, United States.
- Raised in Needham and nearby Newton, he is the son of Dorothy Louise (Danton) and Walter F. Murphy.
- According to Murphy, his family was “middle class on a good day”.
- The family was of Irish-American descent and Phil was the third generation.
- According to his recollections, his mother, a secretary, and a dropout father who took any job (including managing a liquor store and a casket) lived paycheck to paycheck.
- His parents were ardent supporters of John F. Kennedy, volunteering to campaign for him in the 1952 United States Senate election in Massachusetts.
- As a child, Murphy played soccer and this interest stayed with him well into old age. His mother was a strong believer in the importance of education, and Phil and his three older siblings graduated from college.
- In keeping with his education, he attended Harvard University, where he was president of Hasty Pudding Theatricals and, in addition to singing and dancing, aspired for a time to a life in musical theater.
- But he changed course and in 1979 he graduated in economics.
- Not wanting to relive financial insecurity for his education, he enrolled at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, where he received his MBA in 1983.
Phil Murphy on Twitter
Phil’s Twitter bio reads: “Governor of the Garden State.” Create a stronger and more equitable New Jersey for all families, not just the wealthy and well-connected. His Twitter account has more than 400,000 followers.
Today we celebrate the great legacy of the late State Senator and Supreme Court Justice Peter J. Barnes III by renaming Gloomy Swamp in his honor. Pete was passionate about preserving these wetlands. Now the two will remember together.
Governor Phil Murphy (@GovMurphy)
Phil Murphy’s career
- Murphy began his career in 1982 with a summer internship at Goldman Sachs.
- He was hired after graduating in 1983.
- From 1993 to 1997, Murphy managed the company’s Frankfurt office.
- Later, his commercial duties extended to Germany, Switzerland and Austria, as well as to the developing countries of Central Europe after the Warsaw Pact.
- The $55 million investment was made a year before Murphy took over Asia and it is unclear how familiar Murphy was with the operational features of the deal.
- After leaving Goldman Sachs, Murphy served as chairman of the Democratic National Finance Committee from 2006 to 2009.
- From 2009 to 2013 he was the United States Ambassador to Germany under President Barack Obama.
- In 2014, Murphy founded New Start New Jersey, a nonprofit progressive political think tank that has organized numerous events in New Jersey.
- In September 2015, Murphy founded a progressive organization called A New Way of New Jersey.
- Murphy was sworn in as Governor of New Jersey on January 16, 2018.
Phil Murphy Awards & Accolades
- In 2015, Murphy received an honorary degree from Hamilton College.
- In 2019 he received an honorary doctorate from Rutgers University.
Facts about Phil Murphy
- Murphy ran in the November general election against Guadagno, the Republican candidate.
- During this campaign, Guadagno cast himself as a moderate, trying to avoid any association with Christie, who had a record approval rating for a governor, and Donald Trump.
- Instead, he tried to focus on the backstory of Murphy and Goldman Sachs.
- On July 26, Murphy announced honorary representative and spokesperson Sheila Oliver as his running mate.
- His bio read on Instagram reads: “The Governor of New Jersey.” father of four children. Create a stronger and fairer New Jersey. Please visit the website below for more information on COVID19. ”
Read Also :
Philip Danton Murphy is an American politician, diplomat, and former financier. He is currently the 56th Governor of New Jersey as of 2018. As of 2021, Phil Murphy’s net worth is estimated to be approximately $80 million.
He previously served as the US ambassador to Germany from 2009 to 2013, when Barack Obama was president. Before entering politics and diplomacy, Murphy had a highly successful career at Goldman Sachs, where he held an executive position for a total of 23 years.
Murphy grew up in a lower-middle-class family: his mother was his secretary, and his father dropped out of school and did what he could to support the family.
As a child, Murphy watched his parents support John F. Kennedy. He loved playing soccer as a child and graduated from Needham High School. He then entered the renowned Harvard University, where he graduated in economics. Murphy later received an MBA from the Wharton School in 1983.
Phil Murphy’s Net Worth and Career
Murphy’s career began after he began a summer internship at Goldman Sachs in 1982. The following year he was hired by them and began to demonstrate his skills in the organization. Murphy’s greatest strength has been his ability to strike deals, which have begun to effectively climb the corporate ladder over the years.
In 1993, Murphy became manager of the Frankfurt office and studied the German, Swiss and Austrian markets. He then started working as president of the Asian division in Hong Kong. By 1999, Murphy had become a key member of the steering committee.
He then became co-head of investment management, where he oversaw a whopping $373 billion in assets. In 2003 he became CEO of the company and in 2006 he decided to leave Goldman Sachs to pursue other goals.
Murphy served as chairman of the Democratic National Finance Committee until 2009. During his time there, he managed to raise more than $300 million. He then served as the United States Ambassador to Germany from 2009 to 2013 under President Barack Obama.
After years of involvement in New Jersey political history, Murphy will become Governor of New Jersey upon his inauguration on January 16, 2018.
Murphy has received numerous awards for an illustrious career spanning financial services, diplomacy and politics. He has received two honorary degrees from Hamilton College and Rutgers University.
Murphy is married to Tammy Snyder, who also worked at Goldman Sachs. Although they worked for the same employer for seven years, it was not until later that they became romantic and decided to marry in 1994. Together, the couple has four children.
Phil Murphy net worth
As of 2021, Phil Murphy’s net worth is estimated at $80 million. When Goldman Sachs went public, Murphy’s net worth would have risen to $50 million.
He owns a large amount of real estate, for which he claims to have paid $200,000 a year in property taxes. When he released his tax returns for the last five years in 2016, Murphy earned $6 million in 2014 alone and donated $1 million worth $980,000 annually during those five years.